Not done (will never be done, because there will always be a need for Threads hat need "long time and hard work")
Threads that need "long time and hard work" will not be archived, but moved to Test-Scratch-Wiki_talk:Community_Portal/Not_Done (or Shortcut: S:CPND). Actually you can read and continue following threads there:
ToDo Table Updated: New Lines + Columns
I added a few lines and columns to or Test-Scratch-Wiki:To-Do.
@All: Please have a look where you can fill in your name or other information. We could also Link certain ToDos-lines to CP-Sections, were the ToDos are discussed. Mtwoll (talk) 15:20, 8 November 2015 (MET)
Essential Tasks before going public official
We should define which Task of our S:ToDo are essential before going public. As Fr:Scratch_Wiki_Accueil shows we are already "kind of in-official public" and I am happy that user:Smrman is so active in the French Scratch Wiki (with help of user:Lederniersamourai and user:LiFaytheGoblin, see: Test-Scratch-Wikis#List of Test Wikis).
So should we tell everybody that they can start? Or do you think there are some points at S:ToDo that must be finished before that? Which? And who will take responsibility for that points (doing it himself or searching until somebody is found who can do it)? What do you think?
- The blocks plugin is already updated, and we have since added several more help pages. Hence, this topic seems done. Is that try Mtwoll? ErnieParke (talk) 13:43, 26 February 2016 (MET)
Non-english languages only in Namspaced Articles!
I saw that sombody changed Help:Contents (that's linked to the Main-menue!) to italien language (perhaps by accident?). It is very important that we use non-english language only in "Namspaced"-Articles, so it:Help:Contents would be allright. We should search a solution how to make also the help-menu "forign language friendly". What do you think? Mtwoll (talk)
- And Help:Welcome. What do you mean foreign language friendly? Do you mean a sidebar more obvious so people won't accidently do what happened above? KrIsMa (talk) 07:14, 3 January 2016 (MET)
Yes! I think i found a solution by transfering the italien translations to separate articles made separate Italien-Sub-Menus for it in the MediaWiki:Sidebar and changed the overwritten articles back to its old english versions:
- It:Test Scratch Wiki Home (was at Test_Scratch_Wiki_Home)
- It:Pagina Iniziale (got a new menu-point, because It:Test Scratch Wiki Home replaced it's old menu-point
- It:Help:Contents (was at Help:Contents)
- It:Aiuto:Benvenuto (was at Help:Welcome)
- It:Portale_Comunità (I made it new because I think the italien people need a separate Portal for italien discussions, a porblem occurred with the name It:Portale Comunità/Header because template-pages at "non template namespaces" behave something special, now it works but only because I moved it to Scratch_Wiki_talk:Italien_Portale_Comunità/Header)
I also made a kind of "Translation Menubar (as a first try) at the top of the pages. We should have a more professional template for that...I'm also not sure if this is the right way (Interwiki? But that doesn't work because of language-spaces...)
Please care for your userpages!
Not done - Not all userpages look really convincing here
Could you all create or tell the other authors to create their userpages? I know that many of you have already great userpages at your homewiki, but if we get more and more authors here, well done userpages of the other authors could make them feel more comfortable. I saw that there were many empty userpages and deleted them all to have red links again at Special:ListUsers if there is no content. Mtwoll (talk) 11:41, 3 January 2016 (MET)
- Agreed!AghaCool (talk) 16:56, 4 January 2016 (MET)
Could integrated Google Translate help us?
Not done - waiting for Feedback
- I don't think a translate feature will really help at all, even though it might help people from languages that we don't support yet. ErnieParke (talk) 23:23, 21 January 2016 (MET)
can we update out favicon?
Not done - Who of our (FTP/Sysop)-Admins (see here) does it?
Hi everyone! I am here with some good news: The Scratchblocks extension is now installed on the Test Wiki! That means you can write scratchblocks code in any article. The really good news is that you can use many languages, not just English. The full supported list is here:
ja, pl, he, fr, ca, ru, es, id, it, ko, de, nb, tr, zh_CN, pt, nl, el
Here is an example:
define dance (speed) gehe (10) er-schritt borrar // Comentario attendre (1) secondes répéter indéfiniment dire (numero a caso tra (1) e (10)) per (2) secondi assigna a [testing v] el valor  end
- You win the awesome-award of the month! - LiFaytheGoblin (Talk|Contributions) 23:28, 21 January 2016 (MET)
Community Portal must be archived + used + internationalized
Not done - Who does it?
While adding Done and Not done I found out, that we urgently need a CP-Archive: The CP is already much to long and so demotivates our authors from reading and using it.
- Who could build and demo-use a CP-Archive and use it like in the en:SWT:CP?
- Who could tell/teach our international wiki-newbee-authors how to use the CP, so we get them in communication here?
- Who could build up and make a start to the foreign language CP's like It:Portale_Comunità?
Do we need the German and Indonesian Demo Wiki Links in the Sidebar?
- I agree. Having both of them is a bit cluttering. ErnieParke (talk) 17:49, 19 February 2016 (MET)
communication-culture in the international Scratch-Wiki CPs
I think we urgently must find a way to establish this Community Portal for questions and discussions concerning the international Wikis (Test-Wiki but also the existing other wikis). And we must also establish the CPs of the other languages like It:Portale_Comunità and Es:Portal_de_la_comunidad. I think the international wikis would grow better in quality and quantity, if we could establish a communication-culture here, like there is one at en:Scratch_Wiki_talk:Community_Portal. What do you think? Is that true? And if: How could we go it? Mtwoll (talk) 17:40, 25 February 2016 (MET)
- Yes, that definitely be helpful. The question is, how do we encourage a culture like that? Also, is fragmenting the CP at a time like this a good idea? If we have a separate CP for each language, then I imagine the individual CP might not be used much. If they are used, that is great, but will they be used? ErnieParke (talk) 13:46, 26 February 2016 (MET)
Activate our new user?
If you have a look at Special:ListUsers you see that that we have many useres that didn't any contribute jet and even did not edit their user-profile. We must get better! How?`Your Suggestions? Mtwoll (talk) 18:05, 25 February 2016 (MET)
- I have a good idea. Threaten to delete their accounts if they don`t become more active and edit pages. :D -MysteryMaker- (talk) 08:18, 26 February 2016 (MET)
I don't think that this is a good idea because I think they are not editing because they don't know how. So coaching them could help more than threatening them. But what do you others think? Mtwoll (talk) 23:53, 26 February 2016 (MET)
My Turkish Test Wiki
Hi everyone! I was wondering if Turkish Scratch Wiki Home could possibly be added to the list of Test Wikis on the side bar. It is already added on the Test Wikis page but I would like it to be added to the side bar under Test! Thanks! -MysteryMaker- (talk) 08:16, 26 February 2016 (MET)
Tools - Email This User - Not Working
Hi everyone! I thought I should notify you that the Email This User tool is not working.
I emailed LiFaytheGoblin earlier today using the Email This User feature/tool. I then left a message on her talk page saying that I requested for a copy of the email sent to me and I have not yet had it sent to me. When LiFaytheGoblin saw the message I put on her talk page, she said that she hasn`t received an email either. It was since then that I have figured out that the Email This User tool is broken. I then tested it out from me, to me. I have not received an email. It is obvious that the Email This User tool is officially broken.
This feature is also broken on the English Wiki and quite possibly on all the other real Wikis too. I personally think that this needs to be fixed now. Also, while the tool is getting fixed, I suggest we take it off of the Tools sidebar on the Test Wiki so no users try to use it and then complain for the long wait for a reply.
- I will put this on the Jenda of a long next scratch club discussion, hope we find an app man who can care for all this, see de:SC. Mtwoll (talk) 23:58, 26 February 2016 (MET)
- As we discussed yesterday, this feature will be permanently disabled on the Test Wiki for security reasons. It appears not to be broken on the english wiki, apparently it is disabled there too. - LiFaytheGoblin (Talk|Contributions) 11:55, 1 March 2016 (MET)
Please ask more questions here :-)
I just had a Online-Conference with user:Agaddone and user:LindaIerardi and found out that there are many questions about the international Scratch-Wiks and the Test-Scratch-Wiki that they had. It was a pleasure to answer that questions and to help them to get a big step forward. Please: If somebody of you has any questions ask them her ein the Test-Scratch-Wikis Community-Portal. It's not only important for you and your language-community getting the answers but it also could be a big help for people of other language-communities: We should start making a FAQ about that question and I just start here: International-Scratch-Wiki-FAQ
Changes at the top of almost every page, including Homepages
Smrman wrote me following message at my talkpage and I think it's important enough to copy our conversation in our community-portal because all other might have the same question. Mtwoll (talk) 22:11, 4 May 2016 (MEST)
- Hello Smrman,
- I did not change the homepage of your wiki, only the "Switch Language" Template at the top, that is now a "Translate Template" and should be used at all pages of Test-Scratch-Wikis. It will vanish later when your Fr:Scratch Wiki Accueil will be a Real Scratch-Wiki, it's only for helping the translators here.
- At the Homepage of every Test-Wiki it will look like below, to have a good entrance-point for everybody:
- And at any other page it will look like below, just to make translating more easy.
- Excuse me for the inconvenience, I was just working at template:Translate and when I got a phonecall I forgot to switch it back to a working version: Because it's used at most pages it looked horrible, but now I switched it back. Excuse me for the shocking "first contact" with that template: After that I decided not to work directly anymore at such an often-used template like template:Translate. Instead of that I will test test it before and only change it, when the test shows that it works. (I use Template:Translate/test and Test:Scratch_Wiki_Home for testing)
- Additionally I already connected your Wiki with the DE: where Fr:Scratch Wiki Accueil and Es:Scratch_Wiki_Español are now connected like Interwikis. I will try to do that with all other Scratch Wikis too, when one of the test-wikis seems to be ready for that. The French-Scratch-Wiki is nearest to that point I think. Thank you very much for your great work there!
- The last few days I invested a lot of work to make navigating and translating better in the Test-Wiki and to create International-Scratch-Wiki-FAQ. I hope you'll like the result.
- Mtwoll (talk) 21:10, 4 May 2016 (MEST)
Some of the international authors are very productive, but most of them do not know much about working at a wiki and will loose faith when working there alone. Perhaps it would be helpful, if everybody of the active international wikians would have a guide to help and motivate him: So feel free to contact our inactive authors for example by going to their Scratch-User profile and start a conversation like:
|“|| You did start editing the <one language> Scratch-Wiki at <http://test.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Fr:Scratch_Wiki_Accueil> Wouldn't you like to continue? I am an author of the English Scratch Wiki and would like to help you build up your Scratch Wiki by showing you how wiki-things like templates, categories, cp, discussion and so on work at the English wiki, so you can start doing it in your language.
What do you think?"
in en:CP-Thread about "Getting International Scratch Wiki Coach" we have three Wikians that where interestde to help here but they didn't start here:
- TheHockeyist (scratch user, contribs, talk) - from USA & english Scratch Wiki
- Mathfreak231 (scratch user, contribs, talk) - from USA & english Scratch Wiki
- Rumanti (scratch user, contribs, talk) - from USA & english Scratch Wiki
There are also some at: en:CP-Thread2 about "Getting International Scratch Wiki Coach". Who knows them and could motivate them to help? Mtwoll (talk) 14:43, 15 May 2016 (MEST)
Multilingual_MediaWiki and Extension:Translate
We should think about:
Wish List for international Scratch Wikis
Here I will write my wish list for our international scratch wikis. I am happy about everyone who helps to make some of the wishes come true step by step (I know that some of them will take years, but every long way starts with the first step ;-).
- Create Test-Scratch-Wiki and find admins and coaches from en: and de:
- Create a bot to transfer all templates from en: to test:
- Thanks user:ErnieParke !!!
- Create S:FAQ
- Create and integrate Template:Translate to all pages + their translations
- Find scratch wikians who will care for the internationalization and wiki-usability of the en:Block Plugin
short term wishes
- Transferring the complete articles of en: here for easier translation
- user:ErnieParke will test this this weekend
- Installing all addIns and hooks that are used by en: here at test: and also at all other international scratch wikis
- S:PORTAL#can we update out favicon?
- Perfection of Template:Translate: There are still some bugs...
- user:Lirex is working to solve that
middle term wishes
- The Community portals of each language at the Test wiki should get more active. See:
- Having interwiki links to the test-wiki and to it's sub-wikis in different languages
- Find more Scratchers that are technically skilled and trustworthy that want to help the international scratch wiki community with admin-stuff and programming (see "long term wishes" to find out why ;-) Mtwoll (talk) 17:12, 28 May 2016 (MEST)
long term wishes
- Having only one Scratch Wiki for all languages (beside english) that fulfills following needs:
- There shouldn't be any disadvantage in having only one global scratch wiki in comparison to having a separate scratch wiki for every language
- This includes: The language communities should not disturb another but help another and realize synergies effects
- easier administration
- easier communication
- better content, in quality and quantity, because of reuse of (translated) text an media
- English wiki could be part of (1) when following problems are solved:
- There are much higher restrictions getting an English scratch wiki author than international scratch wiki author. So, it should not be possible to bypass the English selection process and than harm the English scratch wiki. Perhaps edit rights must be separated be language namespace, so that you can only edit in the namespaces you are allowed to edit? Much easier than this technical solution would be a social solution where every wiki author accepts that he is only allowed to edit in the namespace where he is invited. Mtwoll (talk) 17:19, 28 May 2016 (MEST)
- There are much more technical and content restriction at the English scratch wiki than at the other wikis: For example it's not allowed to integrate scratch-projects and videos in en:. Perhaps it's because the scratch team is more careful and the English wiki community is bigger and younger (?) than the other scratch wiki communities. The other wikis (specially the de:) appreciate to have non of that restrictions and to have the wiki community democratic control about technologie and content, that should be allowed or forbidden.
- Technically thoughts for one Global Scratch Wiki
- To avoid complicated wiki links like [[language-ID:articlename|articlename]] a Mediawiki-Addin could create a "local namespace" that means: If you write [[articlename]] in an article that is in a certain language-namespace it will reference that language-namespace again.
- The Standard-Namespaces, like TALK, WIKI, USER, TEMPLATE etc. could exist separate for every language Namespace
- Parts of the Skin could change if you go to a languages namespace (for example you see the scratch wiki logo of every language community depending on the language of that artiucle
- to be continued
- see also: S:CPND#Ideas who could help to create a wiki-farm (today i think a global wiki could be better than a wiki farm...)
- see also: #Multilingual_MediaWiki and Extension:Translate
- Continue to motivate volunteers
- Sometimes it can feel lonely editing. This can make a volunteer de-motivated, so that they stop editing.
- Talking with volunteers, interacting with volunteers, and showing appreciation for volunteer work helps to keep them motivated.