|Variants||1.4, 1.4 beta|
|Release Date||1.4 beta
|« 1.3||2.0 »|
Scratch 1.4 (commonly referred to as the 1.4 era) was the last release in the 1.x series and can be downloaded here. It was officially released on July 2, 2009 and was succeeded four years later by Scratch 2.0.
Scratch 1.4 had the most new features of any 1.x release.
- Motor Blocks added to use with LEGO WeDo robots
- Sensing: Asking and answering supported; palette reordered; a Reporter Block can be dropped into the sprite choice in the () of () block; a line is added between Loud? and () Sensor Value
- Operators: Name changed from Numbers; new string blocks (join () (), letter () of (), and length of ()); comparing Booleans (>, =, <) accept strings
- Lists: () contains () added
- Blocks can be clicked on once to activate
The User Interface was heavily reconstructed in Scratch 1.4. Changes included:
- The Green Flag and Stop Sign were redrawn to be smaller, and were put in a different position
- Mouse-pointer readout moved onto one line
- The "new sprite" buttons were redrawn and repositioned, and had the text "New sprite:" before
- A new Stage size: small stage mode
- Buttons to switch between regular, small, and Presentation Mode were in the top right, above the flag and stop sign
- All the buttons in the toolbar were replaced with 4 menus: File, Edit, Share, and Help. Language, Save, and Share also had icons on the left of the menus.
- The Project Notes button was removed, and placed in the File menu
- In the beta, Mesh could be accessed by shift-clicking the Share menu (see enabling Mesh for how to get it in the release)
- A webcam could be used to create a costume, by using the "camera" button in the Costumes pane
- Grips removed from the scrollbars
- The logo was redrawn.
- Main article: Paint Editor (1.4)
- Only one type of color-picker was shown at a time
- An icon of the other color picker was shown on the right; clicking would switch
- Tools were on top-left
- "Clear" button was next to "import"
- Rotation center and zoom buttons moved beneath color picker. Rotation center was center-aligned; zoom was right-aligned
At Scratch Day 2009, a beta was released. It featured Mesh and some UI differences. These included:
- Menus had a square next to the top item
- The "beta" tag from 1.2 beta was put back.
- In the paint editor:
- Standard color-picker had only 3 shades
- Full color-picker took up entire area (clicking a color went back to standard picker)
- Zoom was center aligned
The same version was publicly released on the site on June 5, 2009 as the "release candidate".
In 2012, versions 220.127.116.11-18.104.22.168 were released. These are the Linux version of 1.4, for distributions that support Debian installers (Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.) as well as RPM-based ones (Fedora, Red Hat, etc.) Each version features only incremental bug fixes. They are not available on Windows or Mac OS X.
- See also: Category:Scratch Program Images
The redrawn Scratch Logo
- Scratch 1.4 Network Installation
- Official download page (external link)
Development • Scratch 1.0 • Scratch 1.1 • Scratch 1.2 • Scratch 1.3 • Scratch 1.4