(Redirected from Eng:Hide)
The Hide block is a Looks block and a Stack block. If the block's sprite is shown, it will hide the sprite — if the sprite is already hidden, nothing happens. This block is one of the simplest and most commonly used Looks blocks.
This block is widely used, mainly in preparing scenes and such for a Scratch project. Some common uses are:
- Preparing a scene
when gf clicked hide switch costume to [ghost v] set [ghost v] effect to (100) when I receive [haunted v] show repeat (20) change [ghost v] effect by (-5) end
- Hiding a sprite in front of an object to reveal it
when gf clicked go to front hide when I receive [chest opened v] show say [You found me!] for (2) secs
- Simply hiding a sprite (hide and seek, for example)
when gf clicked say [You know how to play hide-and-seek, correct?] for (3) secs say [Well you're it! Come and find me!] for (3) secs hide go to x: (200) y: (-120) when this sprite clicked show say [You're really good at this!] for (3) secs
- Hiding a bullet once it hits something
when I receive [Shoot! v] show point in direction [mouse pointer v] repeat until (touching [edge v]?) move (8) steps end hide
when clicked switch to costume [empty-handed v] say [Hello and welcome to the morning news!] for (3) secs say [Oh wait, I forgot something backstage. I'll be back in a sec!] for (4) secs hide wait (2) secs show switch to costume [coffee v] say [Got my coffee! Now, where were we again?] for (2) secs
- The block is also sometimes used simply to hide everything but a menu at the start of a project.
when gf clicked hide
- Main article: List of Block Workarounds
This block can be replicated with the following code:
set [ghost v] effect to (100)
However, this does not completely work, as it can still be sensed. Also, it reappears when the project is stopped or restarted. The hide block prevents the When this sprite clicked from activating, but using ghost effects does not.
Also, sprites cannot evaluate some scripts such as say or ask while in hide mode, however they can using the ghost effect.
Another workaround is switching the costume to a blank one.
switch costume to [blank costume v]
Say () for () Secs
• Say () • Think () for () Secs • Think () • Show • Hide • Switch Costume to () • Next Costume • Switch Backdrop to () • Change () Effect by () • Set () Effect to () • Clear Graphic Effects • Change Size by () • Set Size to ()% • Go to Front • Go Back () Layers • Costume # • Backdrop Name• Size
|For the Stage|