How to Quote
The quote feature can be used by clicking the quote button, and writing one's own text underneath the BBCode which is automatically placed in the post editor. Then, clicking submit will result in the quoted post being placed in a box, and the added text placed underneath.
Tree quotes are the result of repeated quoting. Each time a post is quoted, the resulting post gets longer. Eventually, they get so long that they distract from the conversation, and waste too much space. Some tree quotes have been very large, containing a large amount of quotes.
Snipping Forum Posts
Snipping forum posts is the process of shortening tree quotes. It is a very useful skill for those who use the Scratch Forums. Below is a step by step procedure for snipping.
- Select the quote button on the post you wish to quote.
- You will now see a bunch of code at the top of the editing area. It will look something like this:
- Now, skipping the first
[quote=username], delete them.
- Next, find the text which the last person wrote. You can do this by scrolling down the editing area all the way to the bottom. You will see a code which looks like this:
- A little farther up the page, you will see another of the above codes. Starting here, highlight up the page, until you get to the
[quote=username]which you left in place earlier. Do not highlight that code!
- Press .
- Move your cursor below all text, and type *snip*.
- Type your message.
- Click Submit.
- Congratulations!!! You have snipped a forum post!
If something did not quite go as planned, you can click the "Edit" button to return to the editing area.