- "Featured project" redirects here. For the featured project on a profile page, see Featured Project (Profile Page).
The Featured Projects section on the Front Page is where projects featured by the Scratch Team are displayed. Featured Projects is the highest slot on the Front Page, and the projects that are featured usually reach great popularity.
Some users have suggested that there be a featured users section as well.
Why a Project Gets Featured
Featured projects are not normally chosen for being an advanced project — rather, what is looked for are projects that are unique and have an interesting touch.
Users are allowed to recommend projects to be featured in a forum thread in the Scratch Forums.
The forum thread lists what the Scratch Team is looking for:
- Simple projects
- Complex projects
- Projects that show an innovative use of Scratch
- Projects that promote collaboration and remixing
- Projects that show diversity in the Scratch Community, such as gender, age, culture, country, interests, and so on
- Projects that different kind of people would find enjoyable
- Projects that inspire
There are restrictions as well; one can not submit a project if it:
- Was created by you (the most commonly violated condition)
- Was created by someone who has been on the front page already in the past two months, excluding the Newest Projects and Scratch Design Studio sections of the front page
- Uses media (music, images, and so on) from a commercial entity
- Has received more than 100 loveits already
- Contains violence
- Contains language inappropriate for any age
- Is a copy of a commercial game or story; however, it is okay if it was inspired by it (this is plagiarism/piracy)
- Has been on the front page already, excluding Newest Projects or the Scratch Design Studio rows
- Does not work well online
The restrictions were changed after a user complained about them.
There were some dispute over the quality of the featured projects. Most of the featured projects were usually simple. This disputed was set back because Scratch Team are looking for simple projects to feature and complex projects usually get popular on their own.
Controversial featured projects
— A music project which involves making cats meow at different pitches by pressing down keys. Shortly after it was featured, it raised tons of controversy about animal cruelty, due to the real concept of the katzenklavier, but later settled down.
- Main article: Featured Studios
A Featured Studio is a studio that has been chosen by one of the Scratch Team members. They are shown in a section on the Front Page that displays the five most recently featured studios.
Unlike other sections on the front page, The Featured Studio section has no time limit. Scratch Team members add a studio whenever they find an interesting one.
- Main article: Clutter
On the Clutter site, Clutters were featured. These were chosen entirely by an administrator, not suggested by the community.